(NC) Impress your guests with this delicious, budget-friendly recipe for gingerbread people. Get the kids involved in the prep and decorating process for a fun time together as a family.
Oatmeal Gingerbread Cookies
- 1 cup butter softened, or margarine
- 0.75 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 0.5 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 3.33 cups all-purpose flour
- 1.5 cups large flake oats (uncooked)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 0.5 tsp ground nutmeg
- 0.5 tsp baking soda
- 0.25 tsp salt (optional)
- Ready-to-spread frosting
- Beat margarine and sugar until creamy. Add molasses and egg; beat well. Add combined flour, oats, spices, baking soda and salt; mix well. Cover; chill about 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- On a floured surface, roll dough out about ¼-inch-thick for a chewy cookie or 1/8 inch thick for a crisp cookie. Cut with 5-inch gingerbread man or woman cookie cutter. Transfer to ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set.
- Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
- Frost and decorate cookies with candies. Store loosely covered at room temperature.