(NC) Looking for the perfect recipe for entertaining? This delicious chicken and shrimp paella recipe from Chef Mike Ward is a flavourful dish for any occasion.
Chicken and Shrimp Paella
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 8 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
- 8 bone-in, skinless chicken drumsticks
- 1 pound (450 g) peeled and deveined frozen medium shrimp, thawed
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 links (115 g/4 oz) precooked Spanish chorizo, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 red bell peppers (ribs and seeds removed), thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 2 boxes (591 mL) frozen peas
- 2 cans (29 oz/858mL) diced tomatoes, in juice
- 2 cans (29 oz/858mL) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil over medium-high.
- Working in batches, cook chicken (do not crowd pot) until browned for about 7 to 8 minutes, turning once. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Reserve pot.
- Place bell pepper, chorizo, onion, garlic and tomatoes (with their juice) in pot. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated; about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add rice, stirring until translucent around edges; about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add broth and chicken, bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until rice begins to soften; about 10 minutes.
- Add peas and shrimp, submerging them in liquid. Cover and cook until shrimp are opaque throughout; about 4 to 6 minutes.