Wayne’s Auto Repair destroyed by fire

KILLALOE – A business and home is completely destroyed after a fire erupted in Wayne’s Auto Repair in Killaloe on September 9.

Firefighters from both Killaloe-Hagarty-Richards and Bonnechere Valley Township responded to the scene. They arrived to the business, which was completely engulfed in flames. A section of Highway 60 was closed off, along with some back roads, and several residents around the affected building were evacuated as a precaution.

KHR Fire Chief Bob Gareau said the cause of the fire is mechanical error. He said the fire crews were there for six hours and went back the next morning to put out some hot spots.

There were at least three tank explosions, Gareau reported, and the building is completely destroyed. The owners of the building, Wayne and Maryanne Etmanskie, utilized the building as a business and as a home.

Both managed to escape without life-threatening injuries, but Wayne suffered second-degree burns and was driven by ambulance to Renfrew Victoria Hospital for assessment. He was then airlifted to Ottawa.

“Wayne and I are managing as good as good as can be expected,” Maryanne said in a prepared statement. “It was heartbreaking and we are still in  complete shock.  We stood and watched as our home and business of 30 years disappeared in front of our eyes.  Lots of emotions and thoughts go through your head as you are faced with a tragedy like this.”

Get your September 16, 2015 edition of The Valley Gazette to read the full story.