Meaty portabella mushrooms take the place of meat in these vegetarian-friendly pepper burrito bowls. Brown rice and beans make a healthy yet satisfying addition to the filling.
Pepper Burrito “Bowls”
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 3 large red, green or orange peppers
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 3 large fresh portabella mushrooms, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (796 mL/28 oz) diced tomatoes, partially drained
- 1 package Tex-Mex seasoning
- ¾ cup (175 mL) canned black beans
- ¾ cup (175 mL) frozen corn
- ½ cup (125 mL) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Optional: chopped cilantro, diced avocado, sour cream, salsa
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place cut side up in a shallow baking dish. Set aside.
- Cook brown rice as per package instructions. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add diced portabellas and sauté 4 to 5 minutes, or until most of the moisture has been released. Add onion and garlic to the pan; sauté another 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add diced tomatoes, Tex-Mex seasoning, black beans, corn and cooked rice to the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat until mixture thickens slightly; about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Spoon rice mixture into each pepper half; approximately ½ cup (125 mL) in each. Sprinkle each pepper with shredded cheese. Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until peppers are softened.
- Serve topped with cilantro, avocado, sour cream and salsa on the side.