For Immediate Release
(Pembroke, Ontario, March 11, 2020)
The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) states that there are several active travel health notices for 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). Each country or area may have different levels of risk. These risk levels may change as the COVID-19 event evolves internationally.
The risk to Canadian travellers abroad will vary depending on the destination, as well as the person’s age and health status. Please check the travel health notices through Canada.ca before you travel.
Additionally, there is increased risk for COVID-19 for settings such as:
- cruise ships,
- heavily affected areas, and
- international conferences and other large gatherings in enclosed spaces.
All international travellers should:
- self-monitor for symptoms of COVID-19 (fever, cough or difficulty breathing) for 14 days after returning to Canada,
- avoid places where you cannot easily separate yourself from others if you become ill,
- if you develop symptoms, stay home and call Renfrew County and District Health Unit at 613-735-8654 extension 577 or Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000.
Additionally, RCDHU recommends the following measures to reduce the risk of respiratory illness:
- Clean your hands frequently with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, then clean your hands.
- If you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve and then clean your hands.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
- If you are ill, stay home.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- Get a flu shot. You can schedule a flu immunization by calling 613-735-8666.
Renfrew County and District Health Unit (RCDHU) continues to monitor the COVID-19 situation daily. There are currently no cases in Renfrew County and District. The risk for Renfrew County and District residents remains low for COVID-19.
Keep yourself up to date on the changing COVID-19 situation by visiting
- Government of Ontario: The Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) (https://www.ontario.ca/page/2019-novel-coronavirus). Information is updated everyday, seven days a week at 10:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. ET.
- Government of Canada Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Outbreak Update (https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel- coronavirus-infection.html)
For more information, call RCDHU at (613) 735-8654 extension 577.