Photo Gregory Zawidzki
PIKWAKANAGAN – The fire chief for the Pikwàkanagàn Fire Rescue Department said there really is nothing that could have been done to prevent a blaze that gutted a home in Golden Lake.
Mike Ott said volunteer crews received a call to a house fire at around 1:40 p.m. on April 13. When they arrived at the residence six minutes later on Kokomis Inamo, they found the house completely engulfed in flames.
“It was two-thirds gone when we got the call,” Ott said.
The house belonged to Don and Nona Golding. No one was inside the home at the time of the blaze. However, Ott said there were some pet cats that were harmed by the fire.
According to the fire chief, a passer-by had noticed the smoke and called in the incident. Hydro was shut off to the home almost immediately to assist the crews.
It took around ten firefighters a total of seven hours to fully extinguish the blaze. No other fire departments were called in for assistance.
“We had enough water there; we have two tankers and a pumper. We had water on scene all the time,” Ott explained.
The home was around 15-20 years old and was worth around $140,000.
Story continues in the April 19th issue of The Valley Gazette.