Fire destroys garage in Barry’s Bay

BARRY’S BAY – The Madawaska Valley Fire Department responded to a garage fire at 84 Paugh Lake Road in Barry’s Bay.

Fire Chief Corwin Quade said the department was called to the fire at around 1:45 a.m. on January 20.

“As the firefighters were leaving the fire hall, they could see the bright orange glow in the sky,” Quade said.

The chief explained that the fire department was at the scene within six minutes of receiving the call. Despite the quick response, the garage was fully engulfed and the roof was collapsing.

“As the firefighters arrived, they also discovered the owner of the garage tried to enter the garage after the blaze had started,” Quade explained. “This resulted in the garage owner receiving second-degree burns to one of his hands and was taken to hospital and later released.”

Sixteen firefighters, the fire department’s pumper, rescue and tanker truck battled the blaze for two hours before it was extinguished. Quade estimated the loss at $80,000, which included a Volkswagen Beatle, dirt bikes, tools and a large number of items such as chain saws and fishing equipment. 

Get your January 25, 2017 edition of The Valley Gazette to read the full article.