(NC) Swap prep time for quality time with family and friends at your next dinner party. A perfect dish for entertaining, this effortless paella is a one-pan wonder that’s hearty, aromatic and best served family style.
Make a meal everyone can feel good about by choosing MSC certified fish and seafood with the blue fish label. The label means your seafood is wild and traceable to a fishery that is independently certified to a rigorous global, science-based standard for environmentally sustainable fishing.
Using short-grain rice instead of traditional bomba or paella rice allows all the ingredients to simmer and cook evenly at the same time. Cooking a variety of sustainably sourced seafood with chicken and sausage adds a mix of flavours that your guests are sure to love.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1 lb MSC-certified wild halibut, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 lb certified responsible farmed shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb chicken breast or thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ lb chorizo sausage, crumbled
- 2 cups short-grain rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ½ tsp saffron threads
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup red wine
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Soak saffron in red wine and set aside for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a large non-stick, oven-proof pan, heat oil on medium, then sauté the onions, garlic and red pepper until gently caramelized; around 8 minutes.
- Add rice and stir in pan until evenly coated with oil.
- Add red wine and saffron, mix well and cook 2 to 3 minutes until completely absorbed by the rice.
- Add chicken stock, chicken, chorizo, shrimp, halibut, chili flakes and bay leaf and place in oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and serve family style with fresh bread and lemon wedges to garnish.